Thursday, August 30, 2012

Craigslist dresser goes green


In case you missed my post about my one and so far only Craigslist purchase, check it out here.  It is especially funny because I got hit on during and after the pick up.  Now I know who to call if I ever find myself single...still makes me chuckle.

Here is a horrible picture of one of the dressers I purchased. 


It had a mirror on it that had been removed and will stay removed.  Here is my stash of mirrors.


The previous owner also lost the skeleton key that was needed for the two smaller drawers.  Luckily I found one in my stash.  It is a good thing my grandparents did ever throw things away!!


This was also the second time I had painted with my Annie Sloan chalk paint.  I was lazy and didn't want to have to sand.  I debated refinishing the top, but the veneer wasn't perfect and I was in a hurry, so I decided just to paint it.  It did have quite a few blemishes on top, so I did take the sander to it before I painted.


I read in another blog about dipping your brush in water before dipping it in the chalk paint to help it go on smoother.  This is done to lessen the paint strokes and because the chalk paint dries so quickly if you go back over a stroke, the paint can pull on you.  Now I did know from the get go that I would be distressing this piece.  However, I still can't handle the brush strokes.  I think if I painted two coats I would be fine, but again I was in a hurry, so I only planned on one coat.  Anyway dipping the brush in water, just a couple times while doing the whole piece worked wonders and I will definitely do that again.


I continued my laziness with leaving the handles on and just painting them with the rest of the drawers.  I started to take them off, but they didn't want to come off very easily, so I left them.  I also didn't see a reason to remove them because I was not going to replace them since they were all present.  Handles and knobs can get very expensive!



After one coat of paint I sanded.  Again, in a hurry so I used the sander my husband purchased for me for my birthday.  I'm not going to lie that is probably the best gift I've gotten from my husband.  He is not the best at actually remembering to get me something on those special days.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate to this.  Anyway I know a lot of people thing using the electric sander makes it obviously distressed by a sander, but it saves time and muscles so I did it.



This piece is headed for The Columns, in Centerville, Iowa.  I have a room in the basement I call the Junk Parlor, but this piece will be on the main floor in a former students Rhinestones and Ruffles room where she sells clothing and accessories.  You should check out her facebook page.


Linked to:



shabby creek cottage

Furniture Feature Fridays

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

5 comments:

  1. Very lovely color! Nice work.

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that we both had Craigslist posts!! :)

      Delete
  2. I like this a lot. Is this the Antibes green or however you spell it!! Did you wax it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes. I gave a longer response on your page in case you don't check back here.

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to browse my site and leave a comment. Have a great day.