Saturday, March 3, 2012

Free Table

So a coworker posted that she had a free table.  I thought, hmm... can't go wrong with a free table.  So, I replied to her email and luckily no one had taken her up on her offer.  I had just started selling stuff at the Columns, so I figured I could fix up the table and sell it.  We went to pick it up with a van full of kids... mistake.  I thought we could fold down part of the back seat and slide the table in no problem.  WRONG!  It wasn't even fitting in the van it was so wide.  So, luckily I suggested to the guys to lay it on it's top.  Yes, it fit, but... we had to put the whole back seat down which meant someone that gets car sick super easy got to sit in the back on the floor.  Maybe next time I should plan better!

No before pictures, but here it is in the basement where I worked on it.

Anyway, no before pictures, but basically the table was a family heirloom that had been sitting in the basement for years.  My coworker figured she would eventually refinish it and actually use it, but instead it ended up taking up space.  The table was WELL worn.  The top was so worn down where apparently two people sat that the table is visibly uneven. 

See the wave?

Not to mention a dog had been using the legs as a chew toy. 

But, it was free and turns out it is a round table with two leaves.  I have been wanting a round table in the dining room, so I decided to keep it.  I had leftover paint from my mudroom (see the red buffet I did in the same color here) which is a color of red I love, so I decided to paint the base in red.  I wanted the top to be a dark stain, but...

The wood was so blonde that no matter how long I let the stain set it was not going to go darker.  I liked how all the imperfections showed up, so I kept it light.

I attempted to patch up where the dog had chewed, but it didn't work to well.  Plus, I figured that my kids would just ruin the leg with their feet, so I stopped messing with it and just started painting. 

Here you can see my attempt at patching.
I love it in my dining room.  Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with my chairs!  That will be a later post.

Here are a couple pretty pictures. 

Color not so good :)

I did sand before painting.  I painted two or three coats with latex.  I used minwax dark walnut stain and polyacrylic on the top.  It was my first time using the waterbased poly and I'm not sure if I like it.  I thought it bubbled more.  I also let it set a few days before we used it and anything hot I sat on it stuck really bad.  I'm not sure if it's quite been a month yet, but hot stuff doesn't stick to it now thank goodness. 

Linking up:

Furniture Feature Fridays

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a great freebie! I love the red color with the stain. And your chairs seem to match the table top, too! I think the only change I would make to the chairs is maybe a print that will pick up on the red. Great job!


I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to browse my site and leave a comment. Have a great day.