Friday, March 9, 2012

Distressed White

I found a nice sturdy white dresser at my favorite DAV Thrift Store.  I wanted to improve it, but needed it to be done quickly so I could get a spot filled in my Junk Parlor room at the Columns.  It was dirty and had these huge weird knobs on it.  It had screw holes for a handle, but the previous owner had just put "fun/kid" knobs on it.  One drawer was a butterflies, one was just bright swirls, one set was ladybugs, you get the picture.  It was very dirty too.  I LOVED a post I saw somewhere (after much searching, I finally found it again!  Click the picture to go to the space between) that had decoupaged maps to the front of the door and then she wrote in large block letters places she had traveled that coordinated to the map.  Anyway, this would have been the perfect dresser for me to try with her style, but I didn't have the time.  So, what I did copy from her was braided rope in place of handles.  Can you believe how expensive handles and knobs are?!



I had been stripping a table and dresser so I decided to put the stripper over the dirty areas and use a paint scrapper to remove the paint.  It worked!  I love how it turned out!  While this technique works great, I really want to try the vaseoline technique that Down To Earth Style uses.  You must go to her site because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her style.



Here is how my finished dresser ended up looking, well I guess not really.  I started with knobs and then changed to the braid handles like above.  This dresser hasn't sold, so maybe I'll get a picture of it how it actually looks!



There, here is a more current picture!
Linking to:

Furniture Feature Fridays

36th button

8 comments:

  1. R u kidding?!? I think this is the coolest thing ever! What a great piece you made...and I am so honored you liked the braided handles. So much better than buying those new, expensive handles!!
    I am posting your link on my facebook page. :)
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 other quick comments...I LOVE your kids names and happy to be your newest GFC follower. :)
    karah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Someday I'm going to really try to copy the dresser because I love it so much!

      Delete
  3. Great job on the handles! I love Karah's map dresser!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll actually get a post of the handles today maybe! It is a great idea and Karah has lots of great ideas.

      Delete
  4. Wow I love this and what a creative idea with the handles. So glad I found your blog. I'm a new follower too. I would love if you stopped by, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, me again! I just wanted to let you know that your word verification is ON and it makes it difficult to leave comments. When I turned mine off, my comments almost doubled...just an FYI. See ya soon, Lori

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to browse my site and leave a comment. Have a great day.