Friday, February 17, 2012

Seeing Red

Awh... red buffet/dresser I wish I could fit you in my house.




So, I get this dresser at what has become my favorite thrift store, DAV in Des Moines, Iowa.  I think I've bought a piece of furniture everytime I've been there.  I live two hours away, so that's only been like 3 or 4 times.  I wish I could get up there more.  I have become addicted.  I can't wait until this summer when I will have more time!!!


So, here is what the dresser looked like when I got it. 


It got to be a catch-all in my mudroom for a couple weeks.  It came with an attached mirror.  The mirror is gorgeous.  The mirror made me think it was a dresser, not a buffet, but without the mirror I think it looks more like a buffet.


Really it was in fine shape, but I wanted to "practice" what I'd been reading about on blogs.  I already had red in my head.  This is my mudroom color and I already had the color picked out, but my husband likes to say that he came up with the color red.  :)  Because I did ask his opinion.

I took off the handles, put some orange stripper on the top and stripped.  It took forever for the top to dry.  While waiting for that I painted the dresser red.  I did not prime, I did not sand.  The dresser accepted the leftover latex fine.  I painted three coats because it seemed to go on streaky  showing the brush strokes.

Here is what I learned...

Never use stripper!!  I guess the top has a veneer layer on it?  So, the moisture of the stripper got up under it and made this bubble.  I learned that next time, just use the sander!!  I know I could take a syringe and shoot glue under it and clamp it or lay a heavy book on it or something, but I didn't think it was worth it.  It is still a beautiful piece.



It also discolored the top.  Not sure why, but it wasn't like this when I started...



Now this beauty is for sale at The Columns in my room in the basement.


Linked to:

Furniture Feature Fridays



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special 
Saturday Nite Special #120

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love not being perfect? I do!! I'm your newest imperfect follower-stop by for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to browse my site and leave a comment. Have a great day.