Friday, February 24, 2012

Seeing Green


Ugh!  Wish I had a before picture and wish I had better after pictures!!  But...


Over Christmas break I found this piece that is now green.  It was at my favorite thrift store in Des Moines, DAV.  It was what I call fake wood or factory finish = very shiny.  I bought the green from the mismatched paints at my local True Value.  One thing that I have wanted to do with my room at the Columns is to have "different" furniture.  Anyone can paint things white or black.  Yes they sell, but I wanted to have something different than everyone else.  That doesn't mean I don't like white and black or will never sell a white or black piece, but I want to be different, for better or worse!

I get to work on this piece, don't sand or anything, duh!  The paint is not sticking.  I remember reading how you guys mix your own chalk board paint or mix your own chalk paint and I had plater of pairs laying around for when I would someday attempt this.  Since the paint wasn't sticking I thought, hmm, lets dump some plaster of paris in the can and see how she goes.  Amazing, it's sticking!!  I put two coats of the green with plaster of paris on the dresser.  I left the back, top, and inside untouched.  Then, I stopped.  I didn't put any sealer on it because it's the sides and the front, not the top where it will get a lot of wear and tear.  And, in case I decide that I want to paint white over it because it's not selling... it'd be better to not have any sealer on it, right?  What do you think?  The top was in great condition and has factory finish, so I'm done!  I left the hardware because I liked it. 

Wouldn't this look great with a flat screen??


Linking to:

Furniture Feature Fridays

It's Overflowing

Decorating Insanity

6 comments:

  1. I've gotta say I love the green. Would love if you shared it here:
    http://www.decoratinginsanity.com/2012/02/furniture-friday-6-and-link-party.html
    xo...mONICa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece...and really getting into the green. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! But, it wouldn't match my house, so I'm hoping it will find a good home!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous and stunning I love the bold color, it turns a traditional piece into modern!Your newest follower stop by for a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just did a quick visit to your site and will have to return! 1 year blogging, congratulations!

      Delete
  4. Ooh I love the bold choice of color. I'd be surprised if it didn't sell; think leaving the finish on top is what makes it work. I love white and black also, but really appreciate seeing someone make it work with color!
    I'm a new follower and hope you will stop by and join my blog. : )

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to browse my site and leave a comment. Have a great day.